Monday, October 3, 2011

Fourth Week of August

MONDAY After redoing the turbo roundabout many, many times, I've finally conquered it's complex curves. In all, it's 101 objects, with the center island expanding to 270 meters and the roundabout expanding to four football fields. When I look at it's completion, I could've perfected it's porportions which are obviously wrong if you look at it for a moment, but this is good enough for now. I've spent too much time designing the much needed roundabout. I knew I had to finish this, because finishing this roundabout meant being taught the skills I needed to create curving roads, especially those that intersect. This was quite difficult to complete, moving on..

Having neglected the confusing manner of scale for awhile, I ran in to a measurement crisis again which I should've been over. As I was designing the main roads connecting to the roundabout, I remembered I had done something tricky with the draft's scale compared to the ingame scale. It took me some panicked time to realize everything I've designed so far is to scale after I stopped doubting the dekameter square foot I made in the draft. I reminded myself that each pixel is the equivalent of one foot. Although the pixels probably won't scale right in meters, it is irrelevant as each pixel will take after an ingame Meter if I were to place the draft directly in the game. So to summarize, the inkscape draft interpets one pixel as a foot, and the ingame Meter can be interpreted as one draft foot.

TUESDAY I just noticed I'm up to 834 references now, there's quite a few pictures I can use for reference now. It's nice to not be so reliant on Google Maps and Bing Maps. Despite how great those maps are as tools, it's also nice to see lots of buildings up close from the ground! Street view doesn't always suffice.

It was today that I finally set up this blogspot account. I had been saving my blog notes as text documents until I was ready to post. baywords.org proved enough to me at this point that it wasn't coming back anytime soon, and if it was, I've waited long enough! So today involved lots of tinkering with the new blog.

FRIDAY baywords.org is partially online. the old LFRZDG blog can be browsed again, though I can't log in to the account. Hopefully I'll be able to sign in and remove the blog soon.

SATURDAY After a quick google search wikianswers claimed that the average two-bed manhattan apartment can be upwards to 1600 sq feet in size. Using this to get an idea of how big, or, really how small these suites can be. One square dekameter is too small to have ingame, so perhaps this apartment will count as a luxury facility featuring 400 sq meter suites. One apartment unit should be able to handle 12-15 suites per floor. The apartment complex should be capable of housing 182 suites. Now that I've spent many hours on the complex, it looks good enough to move on to something else. I won't be finishing it's parking markers

SUNDAY I have been very pleased with how the apartments turned out. Aesthetically, they are not as rigid and tiny like the first commerical block I had planned. The first block I designed was unconvincing, it looked very unnatural, kind of like the block-ness you'd find in any Sim City game. What made a big difference was making an effort to include landscaping with every building, and natural flowing roads.

I'm now working on the lot to the left of the luxury apartments. It's turning out to be a commercial lot with a medium-sized parking lot, sufficient enough for a grocery store or restaurant. While making this, I'm finding some stubbornness with myself when it comes to changing a design I've made. I've been having to redo the building lot a few times to make room for sidewalks, and make the lot look not too much like a box. I guess I'm afraid I'll end up making a design that looks even worse? Either way, redoing things from scratch seems to help remedy this fear.

No comments: