Tuesday, August 23, 2011

And Now Begins the Blogging


A WHILE AGO Somewhere in the midst of June, I began revamping this project, again. It had a complete face-lift. The first thing I did was reorganize my directories, deleted unneeded files, and began a crucially inspiring References folder. I went ahead and signed up to forums of future interest, and started pulling many photographs of urbanity off these forums and to my desktop. Having some inspiration to lean on, I decided to begin designing the first city district of the project. I started designing with my favorite vector graphics program at a 100% zoom. It's most sensible to design at 100% rather than scale up, which was tempting to do since the ingame Meter is too small. Scale turned out to be one of the biggest design headaches thus far in the project. I had to determine what a pixel would represent in Inkscape. It took me about a month to finally form sensible measurements, and how they'd be scaled ingame. After this, I revamped my google docs files that were collecting dust. The project was nice and tended to once again, no dust to be found anywhere, everything was brought up to date.

First Week of August

THURSDAY I've spent some time reformatting several documents that were in need of proper format, especially ones copied directly from notepad. Keeping google docs uniform makes it less of a visual headache when browsing it's contents. Now that documents are easily readable it's time to refit the design files. I've been working in the first district plan, trying to come up with both concepts and trying out designs for road markings which eventually derailed to doing many other things in the first district blueprint. Eventually after working in this one file for several days things began getting very cluttered and had to stop and begin separating my work among new files.

FRIDAY Spending some time gathering more pictures. I've been browsing many endless threads on skyscraperpage.com for reference images. I've gone ahead and organized my references a little more, having folders for skylines, parks, and buildings. So far I've accumulated 316 images from several urban forums, and flickr, with most of the images in admirable quality and resolution. It's good to see detail, and quite dire when seeking designs. Thanks to the great photographers for displaying their work! Now, I'm in the process of putting a turbo roundabout in the middle of the beginning development of the first district, meaning I'll have to redesign the main road and some of the neighboring shopping plaza.

SATURDAY Re-categorized everything on google docs as well as updating the project launch plan. Baywords has been down, apparently, for quite some time. If this continues for the next couple weeks I'll end up having to move to another blog host.

No comments: